What is the Apple Volume Purchase Program?
The Apple Volume Purchase Program (VPP), which is now the 'Apps and Books' part of Apple Business/School Manager, allows organizations to do the following:
- Purchase, share, and revoke App Store app licenses with devices in SimpleMDM.
- Push an App Store app to a device using SimpleMDM without prompting the user of the device for an Apple ID.
- Gain access to private B2B app store apps, shared with them by app developers.
When paired, SimpleMDM connects to your VPP account and automatically manage and distribute app licenses to devices as needed.
How to Connect SimpleMDM to VPP
To connect your VPP account to SimpleMDM, you will download a token file from Apple and upload it to SimpleMDM.
Apple currently has two different portals that this token can be downloaded from. Which portal is right for you is dependent upon whether you have previously set up Apple Business Manager or not. If you have Apple Business Manager, use the Apple Business Manager instructions below. If not, try the VPP Portal instructions.
Downloading from Apple Business Manager
- Sign into your account.
- Click the button in the botton-left corner of the screen that displays your username. This should display a pop-up menu.
- From the pop-up menu, select "Preferences".
- Click "Payments and Billing".
- On the right side of the screen, under "Apps and Books", click the corresponding name under "Server Tokens" for the location you have been assigning application licenses to. This will download the VPP token file.
Uploading to SimpleMDM
- Sign into your SimpleMDM account.
- Click "Apps" on the left hand side of the screen.
- Under "Apps", click "VPP".
- Click the "Add Token" button.
- Select the token file you downloaded in step 3 and click "Save".
SimpleMDM is now linked to your VPP account and will begin importing your licenses automatically.